thos_lewis_web

Thos. Lewis' drapers store as it was in November 2008


8: Thos. Lewis Draper

This is one of the oldest buildings in Learmonth.

Thomas Lewis opened a drapery store (tent) in Criterion St. Bald Hiils (the Bald Hills Diggings) in 1861. He moved into Learmonth in 1864 setting uo shop next to the Camp Hotel. In February of 1864 he applied to the Shire of Ballarat for permission to erect a verandah over the footpath in front of his business.

When Lewis died in 1874 William Rain took over the business. Wally Walters had his butchers shop here for a number of years.

More detail coming soon
 

Return to sites list

 

© 2016 - Learmonth and District Historical Society